Italian orange biscuits
Preparation time: 30 min. + 1 hour cooling time
1. Using the whisk attachment on an electric hand mixer, whisk the butter, sugar and a pinch of salt in a bowl until creamy.
2. Wash the orange under hot water, rub dry and finely grate half of the skin. Add the orange zest and egg to the butter and continue whisking until it is a homogeneous mixture. Gradually add the juice and continue whisking, the mixture is now relatively runny.
3. Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl and mix. Carefully fold in the flour mixture gradually, first using the whisk attachment on an electric hand mixer, then by hand until the dough is homogeneous. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for 1 hour.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C (top/bottom heat). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Form the dough into a 3 - 4 cm thick roll. Cut the roll into 32 pieces. Roll these cylinders first in sugar, then in icing sugar. Place the cylinders next to each other on the baking tray, leaving some space between them, and then bake them in the hot oven for 10 - 15 minutes until they crack on the surface and are golden brown in colour. But make sure that the biscuits do not get too dark!
5. Take the tray out of the oven, allow the pastry to cool and store in an airtight container until they are served.